Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The 48-Hour Cleanse: Day 2 FAIL

Well Day 2 of the cleanse is on, and Day 1 was quite successful. I only got hungry around 10 p.m.
This morning I made a quinoa breakfast. The recipe, like most of the recipes from Dr. Oz, are pretty large- which makes sense? Bigger portions = less time being hungry?

Breakfast quinoa:
  • 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
  • 1 cup water
  • ginger
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • chopped prunes
Combine quinoa, nutmeg and ginger with 1 cup water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk and prunes and cook covered for 10 more minutes. 

Quinoa for breakfast is a lot like having oatmeal. It's filling and tasty and will keep you satisfied for several hours. I ate the quinoa around 8:30 and didn't start getting hungry till 11:30 or so. 

When I started getting hungry I decided to make one of the snacks for the cleanse.
This "snack" is supposed to be a juice (I don't have a juicer so maybe that's where I went wrong) of pineapple, cucumber, kale, lemon, ginger and mint. The recipe called for 4 cups of kale, which to me seemed like a lot - so I reduced the recipe and just added to my liking. The "smoothie" wasn't as good as I would have liked but I guess you can't get it right every time. 

I've been craving a margarhita pizza all morning... so we will see how things go.

The rest of the day includes the same meals as yesterday. The blueberry, banana smoothie and the veggie broth. I won't bore you with those details again, but will discuss later how I feel the cleanse is affecting me.

Later on...

Dinner 
So I FAILED, miserably. Obviously the cleanse was affecting me because I had some definite cravings. To make matters worse, my step dad came home and decided to take me out to dinner and guess where we ended up. An italian place...and we ordered... PIZZA! Way to end a cleanse right? I mean it was veggie and didn't have any tomato sauce so it's not too bad, right?

To make matters even worse, my step dad insisted on me taking the rest of the pizza home (which was like 4 slices). I won't turn down free food soooo now I have a whole weeks worth of pizza sitting in my fridge.

Day 3... a continuation of the 48-hour cleanse I failed at.

This morning I made a smoothie with leftover kale, pineapple, cucumber and pineapple coconut water in hope to make up for the abundance of pizza I will be eating over the next few days. The good thing about this "cleanse" is that all the recipes are ones you can easily incorporate into your everyday diet. Yes, I might have a slice of pizza for lunch - but I can have a fresh veggie salad or smoothie for dinner to counteract. In my opinion that's how people should eat anyway. Enjoy your food, but still keep it healthy.

Maybe one day soon I will try to conquer the 48-hour cleanse for real. Thanks Dr. Oz.... 


No comments: