Thursday, August 9, 2012

Poached Salmon (Leftover)

Poached salmon is my new favorite food venture. I have made it a few times and am quite determined to perfect it. After doing some recipe research, I found that like everything else, there are several ways to poach salmon. Most recipes recommend you poach the salmon in water and wine, actually wine is very common when cooking with seafood. I don't mind it because I usually have a bottle, or two, on hand.  Most poached salmon recipes call for a dry white wine, typically a sauvignon blanc. 
This recipe from Simply Recipes is pretty easy and is the recipe I got inspiration from.
I am not going to provide a recipe for my poached salmon yet because I would like to try a couple more recipes before officially posting one to call my own. The great thing is that there are so many different ingredients you can use with poached salmon: dill, lemon, oregano, white wine, tomato juice (from real tomatoes, not cans), red wine, garlic etc. I decided to use white wine, water, oregano and garlic in my latest version of poached salmon.

Poached salmon is  not only delicious, but once it is cooked you can store in the fridge and use it for breakfast, lunch or dinner the next day. The day after I poached my salmon I decided to make a wrap. I laid out a leaf of kale and filled it with left over poached salmon (cold). I then decided to add a bit of brie cheese to the mix. I wanted to put cucumbers and red onion and capers in the wrap but the kale leaf was kind of small so I decided to make a side salad instead. The good thing about a wrap is that you can use as much or little of each ingredient, depending on what flavors you want most. 

Leftover Salmon Kale Wrap with Cucumber Side Salad
  • 1 leaf of kale
  • leftover poached salmon
  • sliced cucumbers
  • pickled red onion
  • capers
  • two small slices of brie cheese

Other good ideas for leftover poached salmon are eating the salmon solo or with a dairy topping (yogurt, sour cream, or even cottage cheese) combined with lemon and dill, quiches or even pasta salad. You have the choice of leaving the salmon cold or heating it up by sauteing or putting it in the oven (regular or conventional). 

Keep your eyes peeled for when I actually post my poached salmon recipe. It may be awhile, but I want to figure out which flavors are best. 

No comments: