Monday, December 3, 2012

Banana-Nutella French Toast

I must have a thing for cooking with leftovers. That seems to be how my greatest creations come to life. When I actually try to plan something, it usually doesn't end up the way I want. High expectations.

The other night I was really in the mood to cook but wasn't really hungry so I figured I would just prepare something that could sit in the fridge overnight and I could just throw it in the oven in the morning. I pretty much knew instantly what I would make. I had bought some french bread the day before, and had been eyeing the leftover slices that I didn't use to make crostinis. Leftover french bread = leftover french toast. There is a recipe by Aida Mollenkamp that I have been wanting to try out for a really long time but I didn't have anything almond related so I just put the concept to good use. I had some nutella, I had some bananas, eggs, almond milk and duh french bread. What do you think I did?


Banana-Nutella French Toast!!
  • 6-8 slices of "Pan Frances Bread" from HEB (already sliced)*
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1/2 bananas sliced
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Nutella

Whisk the eggs and milk in a medium bowl, then stir in the vanilla.

Tear or cut the bread slices into halves, it doesn't really matter the size. I tore mine into pretty large sizes which ended up making some of the servings bigger - but who can so no to more nutella? Spread the vanilla on a piece of bread and lay it in a buttered baking dish with the nutella side facing up. Continue this until the bottom of you baking dish is covered. Next put the slices of bananas on each of the nutella topped bread pieces, I fit about 3 or 4 banana slices on each halve - even if they did have to be stacked. Next slather some more bread with nutella and make sandwiches with the already laid out nutella and banana goodness.  Now you should have two layers of bread with nutella and banana in the middle. If you have some leftover nutella you might as well put some more on top of the some (or all) of the slices.

Are you drooling yet?

Pour the egg and milk mixture over the nutella sandwiches, making sure you adequately soak the bread pieces in it. Test out each piece and check for sogginess.  Cover and put in the fridge overnight.

In the morning pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 35-40 minutes uncovered. I first cooked mine for 30 but felt it could use a little more brownness, so added some additional time.

Once baked you can top the french toast with whatever you usually do, maple syrup, powdered sugar, frosting or more nutella. Whatever you please. I didn't top mine with anything and it was still mouth-watering good. It was sweet but not overly sweet like some breakfast treats can be.

This recipe made quite a bit of french toast. I have had it for breakfast two days in a row and still have a lot to go... I think I can manage eating the rest of it within a day... probably. It is nutella after-all.

One of these days I'd like to have a bunch of my friends over and host a brunch. I'd make Aida's almond vanilla french toast and make whatever eggs my friends requested. I'd let them know if they want any kind of meat for breakfast, they have to cook it themselves.

Sorry.... :  )





No comments: