Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fresh

I must admit. I had a lot of leftovers from my 48-hour cleanse, especially radishes. I really haven't ever eaten radishes so I was a little perplexed at what to do with them. I know that typically you find radishes in salads and they have an interesting peppery flavor so I figured I would just combine them with other popular salad toppings and see what happened. This light and refreshing salad was perfect. I sliced radishes, cucumbers and apples (yes apples) super thing with a mandolin and threw them on a plate with some chickpeas and quinoa. Done! I've got veggies and protein and deliciousness in 2 minutes flat. I topped my little salad creation with a fresh ginger and honey dressing. (ginger, honey, rice wine vinegar, lemon zest and pepper). 
<I've also got a side of sauerkraut sitting nearby. Sauerkraut, typically used on hot dogs, is a great probiotic and was an ingredient from the cleanse. It has a vinegary taste so I didn't want to combine it with the rest of my salad but it's still a nice side dish. The only thing is that the cleanse recommended traditionally fermented sauerkraut be used. I looked everywhere for this and had no luck - so I am sure the sauerkraut I am eating isn't necessarily as beneficial for me as it could be, but you have to pick your battles somewhere. I've got a lot of this stuff left, so I am on the hunt for veggie recipes featuring sauerkraut. This should be interesting.

Here are the ingredients for another fresh salad:

  • chickpeas
  • cucumber
  • tomatoes
  • celery
  • mint
  • olive oil
  • pepper

No comments: