Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mix it up for breakfast: Huevos rancheros

 Eggs, beans, tomatoes, jalapeños, tortillas, cilantro. You can't really go wrong with these ingredients...especially when you have a craving for huevos rancheros, a traditional mexican breakfast dish. There are many variations but there are ways you can make the dish quickly and still have it be delicious.

Huevos Rancheros


  • White or sweet onion
  • Can of Rotel (or other canned salsa)
  • Can of beans (I used black, but pinto and refried work too)
  • 2 eggs
  • Corn tortillas
  • A handful of cilantro


Start by sautéing the onion in som olive oil. Then simply add the canned salsa and beans and simmer while you cook your eggs. I fry my eggs but they can be cooked any way you like, but avoiding scrambled is advised.

Warm the tortillas in the microwave or on the stove. Once warm place on plate, add bean and tomato mixture and then top with eggs and smother it all in cilantro.

This will literally take you 10 minutes. Of course you could always make your own salsa to add to the beans. Cooking the beans with tomatillo sauce would also be a good change up. Chips instead of tortillas would add a bit of crunch to the dish if that's what you prefer. Typically huevos rancheros recipes recommend you lightly frying the corn tortilla.

I had this dish for breakfast and after writing this post I definitely want another serving.
***I recently declared that I was going to try being vegan again. Just wanted to let everyone know I wrote this post before that declaration. 

No comments: